Re: disable beep for wall command

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 13:15:56 +0100, afuentes wrote:

> when i manually use the wall command (or when i shutdown or halt
> command) i hear a annoying very loud beep. Is there a way to shut it up?

I wish there is a way :-)

> the pcspkr mop is not loaded. the gnome consoles opened have the beeping
> disabled as well in preferences...
>
> Does anybody knows what is wall calling bypassing these restrictions?

I really don't know.

The beep started months ago¹ in testing (in that time there was GNOME3
but no "gnome-shell") and came back again but still have not found a way
to silence it.

The only thing I've found is that when you stop gdm3 ("service gdm3
stop") and go to a tty, a "shutdown -r now" won't produce any sound so
I'm starting to think this loud beep is coming from the GNOME side...

¹http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/07/msg00698.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón