Re: where to get patched older kernel for example 2.6.39

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 21:41:07 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Jim Green wrote:
> > I use debian squeeze running  2.6.38.8-4. usually I download kernel
> > source tree from kernel.org and strip stuff I don't need and compile
> > my own kernel. but there is a problem, I think the older kernel such
> > as 2.6.38 are not being patched on kernel.org. lets say there was a
> > bug fix on 3.0.0 on some old feature, this patch is likely not patched
> > to 2.6.38.
>
> You are correct.  The upstream Linux folks keep moving forward.  To
> have the latest fixes in the upstream then you would need the latest
> upstream kernel.  Some of the major developers do keep their own
> source code tracks updated and those are somewhat like known good
> release tracks though.

Just to clarify, FTR; IIUC, while 2.6.38 is indeed not being
maintained, there are a number of older kernels which are. AIUI, the
devs designate some versions as stable and long-term, and those are
maintained for long periods of time. Currently, for example, there are
2.6.33.20 and 2.6.32.49, both updated in November, as well as two post
v3 trees (3.0.x and 3.1.x).

Celejar