Re: what does the s stand for

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 08:48:00PM -0500, doug wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 07:11 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

> >You can get the online upstream GNU copy from here:
> >
> >   http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/index.html
> >
> >   http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Changing-Special-Mode-Bits.html#Changing-Special-Mode-Bits
> >
> >Note that the upstream version may be newer (and sometimes older when
> >it is out of date) than the packaged version distributed by the
> >system.  That is why the system version is best since it should have
> >the same version as what is installed.
> >
> >Bob
> One tends to think that Linux is Linux, wherever you find it, but
> that's obviously not true.

Linux is the Kernel only; everything else is usually GUN applications.
Most distros are different in that they have different packaging
repositories and different start up setups.

So always ask on your own distributions e-mail list. Saves people
wasting time answering a question that isn't relevant to the situation
due to different libs/packages.

Sounds like you need to learn how to ask questions smartly if you expect
relevant information back. Take this as a learning experience. ;)

> I do look at other distros besides pclos, and try to keep my finger
> on the pulse of the
> Linux community, as it were, thus I read the Deb and Ubu lists, as
> well as some others,
> and I am of course a member of the pclos forum.  I hope my reading
> this list and responding
> to it on occasion does not twist your tail too much.

No one minds you reading the list, but if you're using a different
distro then Debian, please direct your questions on that distro to the
appropriate e-mail list or forum. :)

--
Cheers,
Stephen, Toronto