Squeeze, Radeon HD 6310, black screen on Resume

Hi, Folks --

I'm installing Squeeze on an Acer Aspire 5250 with Radeon HD 6310 as a
Christmas gift for my sister.  All went well during install but I get
nothing but a black screen on Resume from Suspend.  Even Power Off and
Power On again doesn't clear it -- I've had to remove the battery each
time to get back to 'normal'.  The kernel is 2.6.32-5-amd64.

I've searched the 'Net extensively on this and tried a variety of tips
but nothing so far has worked -- have set 'radeon modeset=0' as advised
by one person, for example, but nothing seemed to change.  I expect there
might be a specific 'quirk' that could be set for this card but I haven't
yet found any info that seems applicable.

I gather this problem is fixed in the 2.6.35 kernel but haven't found one
at Debian, and don't want to move all the way up to the 3.1 kernel.

I'd be grateful for additional tips or for advice on a 'quirk' or for a
pointer to a suitable 2.6.35+ kernel.

Thanks very much,

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."