Re: setting up WiFi adapter (Broadcom BCM4321 14e4:4328 chipset) in latest version of Debian

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:51:13 -0800, Colin Reinhardt wrote:

Colin, thanks for the information but it's better that you keep a bottom-
posting style, which means replying to the sender at the bottom of his/
her reply, not at the top, and it is also better that you reply "in
chuncks" to each of the questions, not in a whole paragraph. This makes
the mailing list a better place to live and stay ;-)

> Following all of your suggestions, here is what I've been able to
> discover:

Please, tell us what's the Debian release you are using ("cat /etc/
debian_version" will tell).

> My laptop is HP Touchsmart tx2-1025dx (AMD Turion x2 64 cpu), and there
> is an LED on front for the wireless, which turns green when it is
> enabled/active (in Windows OS at least). It has never come on in Debian
> yet (stays orange = disabled)

Then you have to enable.

How do you enable/disable from windows? Is there a switch to turn it on/
off or are you using a software application for this task?

Run (as root): "rfkill list"

> lspci shows:
> 08:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n
> (rev 03)

Okay, so the wifi adapter hardware is properly detected.

> after a fresh reboot,
> lsmod does not show anything I can find loading related to wifi or
> broadcom...
>  (what does this mean, or what should I be looking for)?

This can mean that the wifi switch is off so nothing triggers the wifi
adapter and so that kernel does not load the driver.

> however,
> After issuing 'modprobe b43' I get:
> root@HPTx2:/home/colinrei# lsmod | grep b43
> b43                   146204  0
> rng_core                3006  1 b43
> mac80211              137372  1 b43
> cfg80211              101496  2 b43,mac80211
> led_class               2433  1 b43
> ssb                    38698  1 b43
> mmc_core               45702  2 b43,ssb
> pcmcia                 19474  2 b43,ssb
> pcmcia_core            24118  3 b43,ssb,pcmcia

Okay, but this has to be automatically done. If you have a kernel module
loaded "by force" (manually) it does not mean the device will be working.
This module has to be loaded automatically, at system start up.

> based on what I can discern from the broadcom wifi driver info website,
> my pci wifi-chipset should be supported by the 'b43' driver module.

I agree. Indeed, you can use both, "b43" and "wl".

> dmesg shows:

(...)

> Also, just installed the 'lshw' package and it shows me this:

(...)

> ifconfig -a (as root) shows:
>  entries for: eth0, lo, pan0.  Nothing else...?
>
> Using the Wicd network manager applet in Gnome shows:
>  wired network connected,
>  no wireless networks found

This is because the adpater seems to be "off" so GNOME cannot see it.

> I also tried adding pci=assign-busses to the kernel command line at
> startup, but that doesnt seem to have done it either.
>
> So... can anyone see the problem? Suggestions or next steps to
> troubleshoot? Thank you,

I would start by ensuring the wireless adapter is properly turned on
(wifi led button → green) so the system can automatically load the b43
kernel driver at booting.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón