Monitor not shutting down

Hello

I've got frequent pains with my monitors, that they don't go off when
I expect them to after a 30' timeout (as set in the gnome power
management options). First issue was (or was what I suspected to be)
mplayer instances started by smplayer still hanging around, so I kill
them regularly, but on top of that it seemed like I needed

*/10 * * * * /home/chris/bin/fix-dpms

where fix-dpms is

#!/bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0.0 xset +dpms > /dev/null 2>&1

but now one of my computers simply wouldn't even blank the screen
anymore (after the 10' timeout as set in the gnome screensaver
options).

t3:~# grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) intel(0): DPMS capabilities: Off; RGB/Color Display
(==) intel(0): DPMS enabled

which seems to look good for me.

I'm pretty sure that when I reboot, it will work again, but I don't
want to reboot every other day just because of this. So, how do I
debug it?

I have to admit that in this case, Xorg is running in a linux-vserver
guest, but since at least blanking has worked till a couple hours ago,
and the above log snipped seem to suggest there's another problem (and
on my laptop without linux-vserver sometimes the screen still
sometimes doesn't go off either), I'm still asking here.

Christian.