Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On 11/28/11 21:50, Marc Shapiro wrote:
My box is ALMOST working correctly, but not quite...

Well, I just rebooted again, and things are better, but still not quite right.

On 11/28/11 04:12, Stephen Powell wrote:
On my system, there are two files in this directory, "resume"
and "driver-policy". The "resume" file contains:

RESUME=UUID=a6948969-2d88-4ec0-93a1-6d2d803ff8b3

which specifies the UUID of the SUSPEND/RESUME device. It matches the
UUID of the swap device specified in /etc/fstab. The "driver-policy"
file contains:

# Driver inclusion policy selected during installation
# Note: this setting overrides the value set in the file
# /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
MODULES=dep

I have created both of these files:
:/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d$ cat resume
UUID=305ee6c5-c60c-4167-a57c-e13c96ed1e79

:/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d$ cat driver-policy
# Driver inclusion policy selected during installation
# Note: this setting overrides the value set in the file
# /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
MODULES=dep

Then, I reran: update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)
which also caused lilo to run.

If I append the 'noresume' kernel option in /etc/lilo.conf then the
system boots without halting, but my swap is not mounted. If I run:

sudo swapon -a

nothing happens. If I run

sudo swapon /dev/sdc1

then the swap is properly added. My swap partition, BTW, is now 4GB and
resides on my new 1TB drive. This IS NOT the boot drive.

Since this last reboot, the swap is being properly activated at boot time and both 'swapoff -a' and 'swapon -a' are working. :-)

If I DO NOT append 'noresume' in /etc/lilo.conf then the system still
gives me:

Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... resume: libgcrypt version 1.4.5
resume: Could not stat the resume device file '/dev/mapper/vg1-swap'
Please type in the full path name to try again
or press ENTER to boot the system

Note that it is still looking for the OLD swap partition, NOT the new
partition on the new drive that is listed by UUID in /etc/fstab and also
in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf/resume.

This problem has NOT gone away. I can use 'noresume' but I should not have to and it seems that it would be best not to, so that all power saving routines will work properly.

Marc