Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:21:53 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 11/27/11 15:10, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Since your permanent root file system is not a logical volume, chances are
>> there is no LVM stuff in your initial RAM file system.  Therefore, it is
>> trying to access the SUSPEND/RESUME device before it is available.
>> I don't recommend using a logical volume as a swap device anyway.
>> It adds too much overhead.  The swap device should be the highest performance
>> device you have, in most cases.  I recommend that you change your swap file
>> to a regular disk partition in /etc/fstab.  Also make sure that the "pass"
>> variable for the swap device is set to zero, as you did for the mountable
>> devices.  Also change the specification of the SUSPEND/RESUME device in
>> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.  Then run
>>
>>     update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)
>

> I have no such file on my system.  In fact,
>
>      /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/
>
> is an completely empty directory.

On my system, there are two files in this directory, "resume"
and "driver-policy".  The "resume" file contains:

   RESUME=UUID=a6948969-2d88-4ec0-93a1-6d2d803ff8b3

which specifies the UUID of the SUSPEND/RESUME device.  It matches the
UUID of the swap device specified in /etc/fstab.  The "driver-policy"
file contains:

   # Driver inclusion policy selected during installation
   # Note: this setting overrides the value set in the file
   # /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
   MODULES=dep

In both cases I have indented for readability, but the file itself starts
in column 1.  The default value during installation is "MODULES=most",
but when I installed Squeeze, I selected "MODULES=dep" to make my initial
RAM file system smaller.

> Presumably I should create the file
> and include a specification for the SUSPEND/RESUME device.  Is there a
> man page, or help file, that tells how to do this?

   man initramfs-tools

will give some information.

> Since my swap partition is smaller than my RAM, however, trying to write
> all of memory to the swap partition is likely to be less than totally
> successful, anyway.

The general rule of thumb is that the swap partition should be at least
twice as large as the amount of installed memory.  The SUSPEND file will
probably be allocated during initialization, though it will be empty,
leaving the rest of the swap space for ordinary swapping.  Of course, you
can have more than one swap partition specified in /etc/fstab, but the
one specified in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume needs to be at least
as large as the amount of installed memory.  Since yours is not big enough,
that may explain why a resume file was not created.  And if a driver-policy
file does not exist, the default value for the MODULES variable will be
taken from /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.

> Can it be turned off?  This is a desktop box.  It
> is always plugged in and I do not put the box to sleep.  Why would I
> need a SUSPEND/RESUME device?

Even desktop boxes typically have power management features these days.
This was originally designed for use in laptops, where power conservation
when running on batteries is very important.  But desktop systems often
have these features too these days, not to conserve battery life, but to
save money on electricity.  But according to the man page referenced above,
the "noresume" kernel boot parameter can be used to override this behavior.
You would specify it the same way that you specified the "rootdelay" option:
by including it in the "append" configuration variable in /etc/lilo.conf,
then re-running lilo.

> Is this something new with Squeeze?  I never had this issue with Lenny?

In could be new with the version of initramfs-tools that comes with Squeeze.
I've never had problems with it before; so I don't know.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :