Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

On 11/27/11 11:11, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:22:37 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:

Here are my /etc/apt/sources.list, /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf listings.

The specifications for the root file
system in /etc/lilo.conf and in /etc/fstab do not match.  In
/etc/lilo.conf, you have

    root = "UUID=5e0d4da4-aba3-4965-8fb4-788501b0fe69"

In /etc/fstab you have

    LABEL=hda2

The two specifications are not the same.  They may be logically
equivalent; but without more information, there's no way for me
to tell.

Yes, they are logically the same, but I agree that they should match. The line in /etc/fstab was a quick and dirty fix back when I upgraded the kernel and udev under Lenny from backports and I just wanted something that would not mess up when I rebooted to the new kernel. As I said, I had not yet rerun lilo with the change to use the UUID for the root specification. I have now changed /etc/fstab to use UUID, as well, so that they match.

Also, I am going to rerun 'apt-get update' and see if the lines
mentioninf lenny in /var/lib/dpkg/status go away.

Let me know how that works out for you.  I didn't see any obvious
problems in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Well, that didn't work, but I purged all of the packages with conffiles (manually, as I did it before Andrei made his post -- BTW, I don't see the -c option in the aptitude manpage) and that seems to have cleaned up the mess. I have not had those warnings pop up since then.

Thanks for the confirmation on using append with the rootdelay command. I think that it is time for me to rerun lilo and reboot the system. I'll let you know how that goes once I get to it.

Thanks for all the help.

Marc