Re: Wifi card Realtek 8192SEvB not working on a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 on Debian testing

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Eric Veiras Galisson <eric.veirasgalisson@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

i recently upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T500) from squeeze to testing and the PCMCIA Wifi card I was using now crashes my system, so I'm back to try to use my internal Wifi card.

It's a Realtek 8192SEvB

# lspci -nn|grep -i wireless
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8172] (rev 10)

When looking at http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-r8192-pci this model is usable with the rtl8192se driver.

When I rmmod and then modprobe the module, the Wifi card appears quickly in NetworkManager, and connects to my known network, but it quickly disconnects and became unavalaible and I can do nothing to try to connect again, except rmmod & modprobe but with the same results.

I have no idea what the problem can be and how to resolve it, so I come here to know if someone have one.

In squeeze, this card was not recognized and the available driver on the Realtek website never compile (because I'm on amd64 i think) but now in testing the driver seems to be ok, the firmware is available and there is a quick lapse of time when everything works well... so I think I could make this damn internal card works completely but I need some help...

Thanks in advance.

After writing this, I rebooted to verify something in the BIOS and finally the problem comes from here: the Wifi card was disabled in BIOS!!! (I did it because it never worked on squeeze).
The behaviour was strange because it appears in my system (iwconfig list it) but it seems that this BIOS setting forbids it to work correctly.

Nevermind it works now and that's great, sorry for the noise...