Re: Nautilus 3.2.1 and file associations

On 25/11/11 17:16, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 06:50:18 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

On 24/11/11 16:09, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:19:26 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

I have some Freemind mindmap files ending with the .mm filename.  Up
until recently clicking on the filename would automatically start
Freemind.

(...)

Anyone any idea how I can change the default application for these .mm
files back to Freemind?

Just an idea...

Try by adding (you can also copy/paste) a new ".desktop" entry for the
program at "/usr/share/applications" so Freemind appears as a
selectable option.

I just tried this and it didn't work.  There was already a
freemind.desktop file in .local/share/applications and I just copied it
over to /usr/share/applications/

What was exactly not working? Can't you see Freemind now available as a
selectable option? Did you relogin? :-?

After relogin in, nothing changed. If I right click on a file with the .mm extension gedit is shown as the first application, freemind as the second - there is an option to select other applications.

If I select other applications - either from that menu above - or by right clicking on the file and choosing properties then selecting the "Open With" tab and finally pressing the Other Applications button - the list I am presented with does not contain freemind. I seem therefore to have no way to set it as the default application

Also, look at your "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" and check
if the corresponding mimetype appears.

Not sure what you mean

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list contains an entry that I have now edited as follows

application/x-freemind=freemind.desktop;

(it previously said
applications/x-freemind=gedit.desktop;freemind.desktop;)

and then logged out and back in.  No change to any behaviour.

mimeinfo.cache has the same line (the freemind only version), as does /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk