Re: Debian: A noob query

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Olivier BATARD <obatard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly, I will suggest you Debian. Opensuse is great, really, but use
> rpm (AFAIK) and package and application managing can be a nightmare.
> Globally to choose a first linux distribution, don't rely on the gui
> or the screenshot you'll finds on the net. Rely on the work done by
> the packagers and developers. Debian is solid, user friendly (when you
> admit the power of bash :), I know that's hard when comes from
> Window$). Feel free to install a debian squeeze and use it, smash it
> and use internet resources, you'll find a lots of help here and on the
> web. So yes I'll recommend debian, you won't regret it, when console
> will not afraid you :) Because debian (Linux ?) unleash is power in
> shell, gui is just an option. My opinion.

Well this is true that the real power is in cli and not in gui and i
hope that debian would be a good start, may be a little typical for
me.

and apart from it, i am going to install debian from
http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/ since here net often gets
disconnected, so torrent is best, but please tell me if KDE is the
default of GNOME is the default desktop for debian? I am having x86_64
processor, so I guess i have to download 'amd64' CD or 'ia64' CD...,
processor I am having is Intel's not amd's....!

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Andrew Wood <a.j.w@me.com> wrote:

> Probably because its not as well publicised as other distros, often the ones
> that shout the loudest arent the best. Plus Debian has been around a long
> time, and always had a bit of a reputation of being hard to setup, but that
> was in the past, in the last few years its come on so much in terms of ease
> of use with a new installer and so on.

> I would say its as easy as any other distro. 99.9% of everything youre ever
> likeley to need is in the official package repository as a .deb package. You
> can use the bundled GUI tools (Synaptic) to browse what there is and install
> it, or search on the web at http://packages.debian.org (useful sometimes for
> getting firmware packages via another machine to get your network card
> working) or you can use the command line tools:

> apt-get install packagename will download and install just the package
> specified but the installation may fail if it depends on other packages, or
> aptitude install packagename will do the same but also seamlessly download &
> install any other packages that it depends on

> if you have a .deb file which youve downloaded from the website you can
> install it with dpkg -i /path/to/packagename.deb

Yeah okay and thanks, I download first and then install. Hope
everything would go on smooth and okay....

Thanks for the suggestion.