Re: Debian: A noob query

2011/11/24 Sam Vagni <sam.vagni@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Olivier BATARD <obatard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To be clear, installing package is very useful with aptitude and
>> generally apt. Try a man apt or a google search with apt and you'll
>> see that's very easy and intuitive ! But remember even if there is
>> some good guy, always use first the command line. That's my opinion.
>
> I am mailing you since I was much confused between openSUSE and debian
> only, my friend told me to use openSUSE and other friend told for
> Debian, so I guess I could ask you...

Clearly, I will suggest you Debian. Opensuse is great, really, but use
rpm (AFAIK) and package and application managing can be a nightmare.
Globally to choose a first linux distribution, don't rely on the gui
or the screenshot you'll finds on the net. Rely on the work done by
the packagers and developers. Debian is solid, user friendly (when you
admit the power of bash :), I know that's hard when comes from
Window$). Feel free to install a debian squeeze and use it, smash it
and use internet resources, you'll find a lots of help here and on the
web. So yes I'll recommend debian, you won't regret it, when console
will not afraid you :) Because debian (Linux ?) unleash is power in
shell, gui is just an option. My opinion.