Re: DHCP server not starting at boot, any workarounds?

Victor Nitu wrote:
> I wonder if anybody here has a workaround for issue #605657 [1],
> the DHCP server not starting when only alias interfaces have an address.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=605657
>
> This issue is hanging around for a while, and maybe it's the right time
> for asking around for solutions. I googled a bit for fixes, but no luck
> yet.

I did not try this but by inspection I wonder if I might still be
able to suggest a workaround.  The cited network configuration is:

  iface eth3 inet dhcp
  iface eth3:wrk inet static
          address 10.26.10.1
          netmask 255.255.255.0
  iface eth3:tel inet static
          address 10.26.11.1
          netmask 255.255.255.0
  iface eth3:gst inet static
          address 10.26.12.1
          netmask 255.255.255.0

That is rather an old-style way of setting up the aliases on the
network.  It basically mirrors the 'ifconfig' usage.  But slowly over
time the ifconfig usage is being phased out and replaced with the
newer 'ip' usage.  (And likewise 'iw' is replacing 'iwconfig'.)

Is your network configuration similar or different?  Could you try a
test using this type of network configuration and see if the dhcpd has
different behavior or the same?

  iface eth3 inet dhcp
    up   ip addr add 10.26.10.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:wrk
    down ip addr add 10.26.10.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:wrk
    up   ip addr add 10.26.11.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:tel
    down ip addr add 10.26.11.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:tel
    up   ip addr add 10.26.12.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:gst
    down ip addr add 10.26.12.1/24 dev eth3 label eth3:gst

More examples are listed here:

  http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

I am not saying this will solve your problem with the dhcpd.  I am
just asking if you can test if this style of network setup works with
it.  In any case I think it is a better way to organize the
configuration of network addresses on the device.

Bob