wierd sane behavior!

Hi,
I just installed Debian 6.0.3 (testing) on my Thinkpad x60 laptop. I also have a Canon Lide 100 scanner which was not supported by sane backends in Debian before, and I had to install the newest libraries from source. this time, however, I realized that it is supported. sane-find-scanner finds two usb scanners (don't know why 2! I only attache one), one of which is correctly recognized as Canon vendor=0x04a9 and product=0x1904.
The problem is that when I run scanimage -L from console before starting X, everything is OK. even the scanimage -d test -T and scanimage -d genesys -T commands are all passed successfully. but, when I start X and run the same commands inside an xterm, I get the error that libusb:001:002 access has been denied or something like that!
I don't really understand why running the same command from console and xterm are different!!