Re: problems of ppid.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:59:25 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

> Supposing I launched pidgin under xfce4 with keyboard shortcuts, I found
> that pidgin's ppid is 1.
> I knew that if I start a program in a console and e.g: wireshark& if I
> close the console, the program will be still running, and it's pid will
> be 1.

You will have to append "&" to the process, but yes.

> Under GUI, how it works? The more detailed the better.

What do you mean? It works the same :-?

When you launch wireshark from a desktop shortcut the application will
get a PID ("ps aux|grep wireshark" will tell the process ID for this app)
and will keep that way until you close it.

> Furthermore, if i start the wireshark under GUI, where does it read the
> locale of my system?

It should use the default environment locale ("locale" command will
tell). This can be modified for some programs "on the fly", by setting
the variable "LANG" before launching the application.

For instance, if my locale is set to Spanish:

sm01@stt008:~$ locale|grep -i lang
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

And I want to run an application (and see the GUI) in English, I can:

LANG=POSIX; gedit

Greetings,

--
Camaleón