problems of ppid.

Hi,all
Supposing I launched pidgin under xfce4 with keyboard shortcuts, I found that pidgin's ppid is 1.
I knew that if I start a program in a console and e.g: wireshark& if I close the console, the program will be still running, and it's pid will be 1.
Under GUI, how it works? The more detailed the better.
Furthermore, if i start the wireshark under GUI, where does it read the locale of my system?

Thanks.
--
My gpg pubring is available via: gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 307CF736

More on: http://about.me/introom