Re: Openoffice.org - has it been replaced by LibreOffice?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
On 17/11/11 20:50, Brad Alexander wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Sian Mountbatten
> <poenikatu@operamail.com>wrote:
>
>>  So what has happened to
>> OpenOffice.org? Who has decided that we've all got to use LibreOffice?
>>

> Pretty much, Oracle did, when they bought Sun Microsystems and left
> OpenOffice to languish with no support.

Basically, Oracle alienated many of the developers, who then forked it.

...as well as most of the community...

> LibreOffice is a fork that is
> actually being developed under the GPL.

OpenOffice.org is now part of the Apache Software Foundation (as a
result of the fork). I don't know if it's accurate to say it's still
"languishing with no support".

I haven't heard of continued development on OOO, which doesn't mean it didn't happen. The last I heard about OOO, on one of the Linux podcasts, is that since it is apache licensed, they LibreOffice changes can flow down from OpenOffice, but since LibreOffice is under the GPL3, the reverse is not true. I don't even pretend to grok all of the intracies of various licenses, but that was my understanding.

--b