Re: BibTeX memory limits

Hi !

On 17/11/11 19:18, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:44:04 +0100, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

I encounter memory limit issue with BibTeX similar to the ones reported
in Q37 of the `BibTEX Tips and FAQ' by Michael Shell and David Hoadley :

Who also add additional tips to deal with the problematic:

***
"(...) Some versions of BibTEX have been patched to allow for the memory
limits to be changed via the contents of a “bibtexmemory.config” file
(without having to recompile), but, unfortunately, such systems don’t seem
to be very common.

There is also a version of BibTEX with a much larger capacity. “8-bit”
BibTEX was written by Niel Kempson and Alejandro Aguilar-Sierra [20]. On
many systems with 8-bit BibTEX (MiKTEX), the executable is called
bibtex8.7"

Maybe you can Google for these two options :-?

I did one of the other options:
just improve my BibTeX BST code to workaround the encountered limitation.

Before my email I was not familiar with BibTeX Style hacks,
and it sounded obscure: I am getting familiar with it.
(Amazingly it remind me the old good time of the HP calculators :-).)

My hope was to set up some parameters in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
as it can be done for the different variant of tex, for metapost, ...

I know that memory limits for tex and its derived, for metapost can be
can be configured in the /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf configuration file: can we
do something similar for bibtex ?

There is also a program named "biber" aimed to solve that memory
limitations, maybe you can give it a wirl:

biber comes with biblatex: I want to stay with bibtex  to avoid endless issue.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/biblatex-biber/files/

And while searching for this program, I've found a "request for package"
bug report in Debian BTS:

Greetings,

Thanks,
Jerome