Re: wifi without applets [WAS] Re: can I safelly remove gnome ?

Hello:

On 14/11/11 12:34, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
Jerome,

On 14/11/11 12:19, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
 > Hello List:
 >
 > On 14/11/11 12:08, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
 >> On 14/11/11 11:19, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
 >>> [...]
 >> I am still currently unable to manage network-manager through the
 >> nm-applet as user.
 >> [...]
 >
 > concerning the wireless network connect:
 > with wpasupplicant running in roam mode applets are not needed:
 > This last week-end I migrated from Gnome 2/3 to Xfce (I wonder why),
 > this approach allowed a smooth migration.

This is really interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more? Do you think it's hardware dependent? Does the 'hardware' switch (of any) work? Any pointers to guides tutorials, maybe willing to share your own setup?

You can find information in the Debian README file od wpasupplicant,

/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz ,

section 3 entitled `Mode #2: Roaming Mode'.

hth,
Jerome