Re: [OT] can't see own post to the list

On 14/11/11 11:19, Dan B. wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 13/11/11 16:14, Doug wrote:
>>
>>> GMail deliberately removes your own list messages so
>>> you can't see them and know that you actually were successful in
>>> posting.
>>
>> Well, no.
>> Not that I have shares in Google - just a dislike for BS and trolls.
>> The gmail default settings is to *not* provide you with a duplicate in
>> Sent mail.
>
> Why would there be a duplicate in _Sent_ mail?

> Only the message you sent out should be in the Sent folder--the message
> back from the mailing list is a different message (e.g., with added
> mail-transfer header fields (e.g., Received), mailing list header fields
> (e.g., List-ID), and modifications to the body (e.g., the mailing list
> signature), and is not the message you sent out.  Although it usually
> contains almost everything from the original message (though not BCC
> header fields), it is not a duplicate.

Are you serious?

> A mailer shouldn't forcibly* treat the second message as a duplicate of
> the first.  (*That is, without giving the user a choice.)
>
> It sounds like GMail/Google is judging whether a message was "Sent" by
> the From: header field (or whatever) rather than by the simple fact of
> whether it was actually sent (through GMail's mail-sending actions)
> or received.

Gmail's reasons for the policy have been posted previously in this thread.

> (A similar problem can also occur with BCC copies to oneself in some
> mailers.)

Which would beg the question "why would anyone do that" - if I didn't
have better things to do, or a total lack of desire to understand the
"reasoning" of the insane. :-)

For the same reasons - it's a totally unnecessary waste of resources.
Not changed by the fact that some mentalities "don't get it".

> Daniel

Cheers