Re: Is GNOME 2 panel still in unstable?

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:13:09 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 13:10 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:26:31 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Camaleón, hi everybody else :)
>> >
>> > at the moment the fallback mode looks promising.
>>
>> Don't put your expectations on it :-)
>
> Is there already a GNOME 3 version without fallback mode?

Nope, but as soon as gnome-shell can be run with software 3D acceleration
(which is now possible but still not implemented) I guess GNOME will
remove the fallback mode.

Fallback mode is aimed to deal with VGA cards that provide no hardware 3D
acceleration but if hardware 3D acceleration is not needed anymore,
what's the reason for the fallback mode? Fallback mode is not here for
the "romatincs" of GNOME2+gnome-panel :-)

> And if so, is there no way to configure such a GNOME 3 similar to GNOME
> 2?

Exactly.

Say bye, bye! to the old GNOME2 desktop in the way you knew it. I don't
discard that gnome-shell could be configured to act in a similar way to
gnome-panel but I guess there is still a long way until we can get that...

>> > This weekend might become a weekend of snapshot-backups and
> restores. I
>> > still haven't installed gnome-core for version 3, regarding to the
>> > dependency pulseaudio. Perhaps I'll start with a dummy package for
>> > pulseaudio or something similar.
>>
>> Yes, pulseaudio seems to be pulled by some metapackages (gnome, gnome-
>> core and gnome-desktop-environment) so maybe you can avoid installing
> it
>> by manually cherry-picking the gnome packages.
>
> An upgrade from gnome-core 1:2.30+11 to 1:3.0+3 tried to install
> libcanberra-pulse and pulseaudio. Using equivs I build dummy packages,
> libcanberra-pulse and pulseaudio_2011-dummy_all.deb. YouTube (non-jackd
> flashplayer) is still ok, non-jackd media players are still ok and for
> my DAW even the unwanted f*!#in' desktop sound now seems to be enabled.

Good :-)

> I just was forced to reboot, to use the media players, although the
> order of the sound devices was correct.
>
> Hm? Around 10 o'clock in the morning I wasn't able to receive emails.

It's Sunday, people is sleeping after a long journey of gnome-shell
tweaking :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón