Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:51:58 +0000, Joe wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:08:44 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:41:46 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > Perhaps others who dislike GNOME3 (does anyone not??)
>>
>> Hum... it's not GNOME3 but gnome-shell what you don't like.
>>

> I wouldn't know, my two-year-old Gigabyte MB is apparently too old for
> Gnome 3. According to the Gnome site:
>
> 'It is our primary focus to build a modern operating environment,
> platform, and user experience. It doesn't make sense to target the
> hardware of the past.'
>
> And there was me thinking that one of the greatest strengths of Linux
> was the wide range of hardware it runs on.

I doubt gnome-shell has any problem with your motherboard. Maybe is you
VGA card/driver what can give you troubles.

As per the above GNOME statement, it continues saying:

"So, the official plan is that people can still use the GNOME 2 shell
with GNOME 3 applications and libraries, if necessary, but this is a
transitional state, and to get the GNOME 3 experience, your computer
needs hardware acceleration."

And I agree. GNOME always had a well defined target and it never was 10-
years old computers but a modern desktop. There are better solutions for
computers that are not powerful enough to run one of the biggest DE like
can be GNOME o KDE. And there als window managers. There is room for all.

>> And nope, as soon as I can customize some of the basics of the shell
>> I'm fine. At the end of the day what I have used are programs
>> (thunderbird, LibreOffice, Firefox...) not a desktop environment. And
>> what's a desktop environment, by the way? "Something" that
>> allows/facilitates you to run your preferred applications :-)
>
> And once you have the hang of it, that should be that. You shouldn't
> have to relearn it unless you deliberately want to change it. Running
> the applications you mention does *not* need a gaming graphics card, and
> I have no plans to buy one. As long as all my monitor's pixels all light
> up, a frame buffer is good enough for me.

You don't need a gaming graphics card to run GNOME3 (I mean GNOME3, not
gnome-shell). Look, GNOME3 runs even under a VM and I've been told that
you can even run gnome-shell on a virtualized environment :-)

>> I can get used to the "new desktop paradigm" (or whatever they prefer
>> to name it), because regardless what GNOME developers and we -plain
>> users- say, we are still doing the same things in another way, I mean,
>> there is nothing new nor revolutionary "per se" in the new shell.
>
> And I'd rather go on doing the same things with the least possible
> disruption. When I have my car serviced, I don't want it to come back
> with all the controls in different places, just because someone thinks
> it looks cool that way.

This is a FLOSS project not a car. If you want to make 1:1 comparions
let's start saying how much money are you spending in your car (first
buy, insurance, repair services, manitenance...) and how much are you
giving to FLOSS projects. And then, say how many customizations and
modifications can you do in your card without losing the guaratee of the
manufacturer ;-)

>> Don't be afraid: the jump is not that long as it first seems.
>>

> This is a working machine: I don't have time to fix other peoples'
> mistakes. I've gone for LXDE, which I've dabbled with before, and which
> seemed the quickest way to get working again.

If you think GNOME3+gnome-shell is not for you that's a fair decision.
Understandable, I mean.

> I'm sure Gnome will get along just fine without me, as I won't be going
> back. I have no problem with new models of products, but dumping your
> existing users doesn't seem to me to be the way to win friends and
> influence people.

I did the same when KDE4 was out. I jumped to GNOME2 because that was a
complete mess for me so I decided to switch (I still remember the big
size of the system tray clock that could not be changed, wow...). But
gnome-shell is at this time configurable and customizable enough to make
me to stay.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón