Re: update-flashplugin-nonfree issue

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:16:16 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> J. Bakshi wrote:
> > I have run "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" and it downloads the latest plugin
> > at /var/cache/flashplugin-nonfree/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
> >
> > after uncompromising it I get
> >
> > 1. libflashplayer.so
> > 2. usr folder
> >
> > I have copied libflashplayer.so at /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/
> > but google-chrome still complaining about a old version and firefox
> > want to download the plugin to activate flash support. Interestingly
> > both the browser finally goes to the adobe site and download the same version
> > as /var/cache/flashplugin-nonfree/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
> >
> > Confused !!! can any one help please ?
>
> You should not need to do anything more than simply run the installer
> as you have done.  It will automatically check tar.gz integrity,
> unpack it, and place the files into the correct locations.  The script
> is programmed to do everything that is needed.
>
> Perhaps you have set the alternatives to something different?  Run
> this command and see what it is set to.  On a system here I see:
>
>   $ update-alternatives --display flash-mozilla.so
>
>   flash-mozilla.so - auto mode
>     link currently points to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
>   /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so - priority 50
>   /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so - priority 10
>   Current 'best' version is '/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so'.
>
> As can be seen from the above gnash had been previously installed but
> when I installed flashplugin-nonfree it installed itself with a higher
> priority and converted all of the symlinks automatically.
>
> Perhaps in your case it will say something different and will show why
> it didn't happen for you automatically?

Thanks Bob,

I didn't know about it. I have only seen at the std output that the
command has downloaded the flash.

When I executed the command as you suggested, I get as below

` ` ` `
flash-mozilla.so - auto mode
  link currently points to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so - priority 50
/usr/lib/lightspark/liblightsparkplugin.so - priority 0
Current 'best' version is '/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so'.

` ` ` `

Though I have seen somewhere that chrome now a days shipped with inbuilt flash player
for better performance.. but here I need to install it separately. Any ways the browsers
are running well now :-)

@Hugo - flash-mozilla.so points to the libflashplayer.so