Re: update-flashplugin-nonfree issue

J. Bakshi wrote:
> I have run "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" and it downloads the latest plugin
> at /var/cache/flashplugin-nonfree/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
>
> after uncompromising it I get
>
> 1. libflashplayer.so
> 2. usr folder
>
> I have copied libflashplayer.so at /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/
> but google-chrome still complaining about a old version and firefox
> want to download the plugin to activate flash support. Interestingly
> both the browser finally goes to the adobe site and download the same version
> as /var/cache/flashplugin-nonfree/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
>
> Confused !!! can any one help please ?

You should not need to do anything more than simply run the installer
as you have done.  It will automatically check tar.gz integrity,
unpack it, and place the files into the correct locations.  The script
is programmed to do everything that is needed.

Perhaps you have set the alternatives to something different?  Run
this command and see what it is set to.  On a system here I see:

  $ update-alternatives --display flash-mozilla.so

  flash-mozilla.so - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
  /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so - priority 50
  /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so - priority 10
  Current 'best' version is '/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so'.

As can be seen from the above gnash had been previously installed but
when I installed flashplugin-nonfree it installed itself with a higher
priority and converted all of the symlinks automatically.

Perhaps in your case it will say something different and will show why
it didn't happen for you automatically?

Bob