Re: GNOME3 Ugh! What specifically didn't work.

I right-clicked on the app title bar and selected minimize from there.
To get the app back I used Alt-Tab.

IceWM is a nice bit of software.  I used it for a long time.  I think
that if you want something similar to your GNOME 2 panel experience that
XFCE will probably be a reasonable choice.

I have XFCE running on this machine, on my Xubuntu DVR, and via a thumb
drive that I use on my work laptop when I don't want to lug two machines
along.  I have TDE installed on a couple of other machines and I've been
playing with Unity and GNOME Shell.  Perhaps I'm simply mad!  ;-)

- Nate >>