Re: Yikes, 140 held packages

Harry Putnam (reader@newsguy.com on 2011-11-12 05:31 -0600):
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would suggest you run 'aptitude safe-upgrade' first and then try
> > 'aptitude full-upgrade'. Don't worry, aptitude will present all
> > changes to you before applying. If you don't like or understand
> > what you see just copy-paste it here and we'll have a look.
>
> It happens that I had already run `aptitude full-upgrade' before
> seeing your post... It removed a fairly extensive list of pkgs.  But
> still I see 135 on hold.  I forgot how to list only installed with
> aptitude but running `aptitude search . |grep ^ih' shows 135
(you were look for aptitude search ~i)

What does the following show:
$ aptitude search ~ahold

This should probably give you the list of 135 packages. You can release
the held packages by using the same syntax:
# aptitude unhold ~ahold

If that doesn't work, the packages could be held in dpkg instead, but
the output is slightly different (and aptitude and dpkg easily
disagree):

$ echo "xfonts-encodings hold" |sudo dpkg --set-selections
$ aptitude search ~ahold
ihA xfonts-encodings         - Encodings for X.Org fonts
$ sudo aptitude unhold xfonts-encodings
[..]
$ aptitude search ~ahold
$ dpkg --get-selections|grep hold
xfonts-encodings				hold
$ dpkg -l xfonts\*
hi  xfonts-encodin
ii  xfonts-utils
[..]

To quickly unhold packages held by dpkg, you can use this:
$ dpkg --get-selections|awk '$2=="hold" {$2="install";print}' > list

Review the list before feeding it to set-selections:
$ sudo dpkg --set-selections < list

Regards,
Arno