Re: Yikes, 140 held packages

On Jo, 10 nov 11, 04:56:08, Harry Putnam wrote:

> > What are you using for updates, just the Update Manager or
> > apt-get/aptitude?
>
> I've actually used both on occasion.  Are you suggesting I should run
> something in particular with an specific apt-get/aptitude command.
>
> Is there any other circumstance that would account for such a high
> count of held packages?  It is a high count at 140 right... or is that
> not so abnormal?

In testing and unstable it can happen that a safe-upgrade/upgrade is not
enough, because sometimes packages just need to be removed. From what I
recall even Update Manager suggests this when it's necessary.

I would suggest you run 'aptitude safe-upgrade' first and then try
'aptitude full-upgrade'. Don't worry, aptitude will present all changes
to you before applying. If you don't like or understand what you see
just copy-paste it here and we'll have a look.

Hope this helps,
Andrei