Re: /etc/default/keyboard XKBOPTIONS not read by X

Raf Czlonka wrote:
On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 12:50:57AM GMT, Bob Proulx wrote:
Dan B. wrote:
I tried swapping the left Control key and Caps Lock key by modifying
the XKBOPTIONS value in /etc/default/keyboard, per instructions that
said it would take effect for both the virtual consoles and X.

I presume you've restarted restarted udev or rebooted since then?

I have now (rebooted).

% udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change

Can we see the content of your file (without the comments), please?

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:swapcaps"

Could you also point us to the instructions you've used as well, please?

http://shallowsky.com/blog/2011/Mar/20/

Note:  I was mistaken in thinking that _that_ page said that the
/etc/default/keyboard setting would take effect for both the virtual
consoles and X.

However, I read (somewhere else) that in Squeeze one could fix both the
virtual consoles and X with one setting.

(Also, the fact that /etc/default/keyboard uses the name "XKB..." and
uses the X configuration format suggests that the file might also be
read by X startup scripts.)

Thanks,
Daniel