Re: gnome 3 refugee; How to just run compiz as the Window Manager, no "session" management

Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:17:10 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:20:33 -0600
Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's my angry rant:

I'm an old timer, can remember time when "startx" would just call a
window  manager and start a terminal, before Gnome, KDE, etc
existed.
I still do exactly this with XFCE (although I believe some other stuff
is also started beside the WM).

That's what I use: XFCE to provide the environment and Enlightenment
over the top. If you want anything from Gnome or KDE, just install
them, rather than the whole cludge.
Regards,

Exactly. I used FVWM for years and a few weeks ago tried Gnome + Compiz but because of the unstable mess went to XFCE4 + Compiz + Emerald.

BTW I was unable to run Compiz as 'standalone' window manager the way one uses FVWM.

Hugo