Re: HD Data Recovery

Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> ...the cause was a hard disk error...
> ...I swapped the drive in as a slave...
> ...I don't get promising results from the standard disk tools...
> ...the store and they claimed it had a broken read/write head...

A broken head is relatively unusual.  Short of opening opening the
drive, how would the store diagnose a broken head.  Chain store?

Possibilities come to mind:

	0) Incorrect hardware installation, (jumpers, cabling).
	1) Bad mechanical hardware. (e.g. broken head)
	2) Bad electronic hardware. (smoked chip)
	3) Failing or damaged media. (some needed sectors are bad.)

2 can likely be ruled out, since 'dmesg' sees something.  Which leaves

1.  If you unplug this HD and gently move it around, does it rattle,
does it make sounds not heard in good drives?  Plugged in,
are there unusual noises?  Some rare HD models are notorious; what model
number is it?

0.  Suppose the drive had #3 and #0, that'd be confusing.
Does 'lsscsi' or 'hdparm -I' see the drive?  (apt-get install hdparm
lsscsi scsitools)

3, if lucky.  Linux utils like 'dd', 'ddrescue' (install 'ddrescue'),
etc. help.  Linux needs to see the device however.