Re: Weird DNS error?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
> > > # grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > > hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
> > "dns" isn't being queried because you've got avahi installed and so
> > when it's queried through "mdns4_minimal" and the host's ip isn't
> > found, it's returning instead of the default "NOTFOUND=continue".
> >
> > Delete "[NOTFOUND=return]" and try a "host ..." or a "dig ...".
>
> I don't agree:
> $ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
> ii libnss-mdns 0.10-3.1 NSS module for Multicast DNS name resolution
> but DNS works fine. As far as I recall mdns is only used for the .local
> domain.

I have had inconsistent behavior in that configuration.  Some systems
behave fine with the mdns configuration.  But others have really odd
and problematic DNS lookup behavior.  I haven't concluded to root
cause other than to say that if libnss-mdns is removed (or the
nsswitch.conf file modified / cleaned) then the problems stop.  And so
when I run into the problem the easy solution is to remove libnss-mdns
or clean nsswitch.conf to make the problem stop.

I will confirm that the problem is not limited to .local domains.
When the problem exists it occurs with domains other than .local
domains.

If I can recreate the problem on a non-critical machine then I will
look more deeply into the problem.  I would like to understand it
better.

Bob