Re: Weird DNS error?

On Lu, 24 oct 11, 21:50:15, Tom H wrote:

> > # grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
>
> I'm glad that you or someone else thought of asking for the above
> because it slipped my mind and I think that it identifies the problem.
> (Everything else looks fine.)
>
> "dns" isn't being queried because you've got avahi installed and so
> when it's queried through "mdns4_minimal" and the host's ip isn't
> found, it's returning instead of the default "NOTFOUND=continue".
>
> Delete "[NOTFOUND=return]" and try a "host ..." or a "dig ...".

I don't agree:

$ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
$ dpkg -l libnss* | grep ^ii
Nu au fost găsite pachete care să se potrivească cu libnss.
ii  libnss-mdns                                   0.10-3.1                            NSS module for Multicast DNS name resolution
ii  libnss3-1d                                    3.12.8-1+squeeze4                   Network Security Service libraries

but DNS works fine. As far as I recall mdns is only used for the .local
domain.

Regards,
Andrei