Re: job in crontab not running

Adam Mercer wrote:
> Nov  8 10:48:01 bull /usr/sbin/cron[1123]: (laltest) ORPHAN (no passwd entry)
>
> from this I was able to determine that NSCD wasn't running, restarting
> this allowed jobs to run successfully!

Does this mean that you are running NIS/YP or LDAP from the network?
Are your servers "slow" such as on a remote network or otherwise
negatively impacting performance?

If not then I wouldn't run nscd at all.  I have run into problems with
its caching implementation.  Secondary account entries override
primary ones (the opposite of desired) when running nscd for example.
And the daemon sometimes stops running, as you just found.  If you
don't need it then it is better not to run it and it is rare to find
people who really need it these days.

Bob