Re: Kdesud locking up, JMicron card reader not working, USB 3 Controller stops working after resuming, horizontal tearing on fullscreen

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 03:32:14 -0800, anx_dev wrote:

>> > The only program that I' aware that's runningkdesudis synaptic, so I
>> > dunno.
>>
>> You can invoke "kdesu" (or "kdesudo") to run whatever program you want
>> with root's permissions, not just Synaptic ;-). Kdesu is like "su" (or
>> "sudo") but aimed to run GUI based applications.

(...)

> Thanks for that. I knew that kdesudo, kdesu (two different programs!)
> you can run a program inside kde as root. The problem is that sometimes
> the process hangs, especially when running Synaptics (but it happened
> with other programs too). Only killing the hang process kdesudo would
> work again.

Yes, but I asked if the hang also happens when you launch an app other
that Synaptic ;-)

>> > NO dmesg output. Not detected, not mounted, not anything.
>>
>> That's weird. You mean that when you insert a card, once the computer
>> has booted, there is no system reaction at all? Have you tried with
>> different media types (SD, MMC, Memory Stick...)? Are you putting the
>> card in the right position (upside down or face up)? I ask this because
>> some embedded card readers have the wire contacts at the top and others
>> at the bottom :-)
>
> Yeah, I tried all sorts of cards, with no luck. NO reaction system at
> all. Weird, right? Gonna try Hans suggestion, boot with the card in the
> reader and see which modules are running.

The system should automatically load the required module as soon as the
media is inserted (hey, this is plug & play, you know...).

>> > I've blacklisted xhci_hcd, and so far the controller hasn't acted up.
>> > But this gonna take longer to test.
>>
>> If the USB ports are behaving okay regardless the above error you don't
>> need to worry. I have read that these are harmless kernel messages that
>> should go away in the next kernel releases.
>>
>> But if you were having problems with your USB 3.0 devices, this is
>> something worth to report. Blacklisting the USB 3.0 module is a by-pass
>> more than a real solution.
>

> Should I report this bug against the kernel? Bugs against the kernel
> takes _forever_ to be addressed...

There are already some bug reports opened for this problem in Debian BTS
(yes, against the kernel package, that is, "linux-image"), you can add
your comments there instead opening a new one.

>> > The last time I tried to install nouveau, it tried to remove all
>> > nvidia packages, and after that, it didn't work - black screen, no
>> > output, no X, no console. I'll try again, but I reported this to the
>> > kde bug tracking, and they're also trying to figure it out. So far,
>> > no luck.
>>
>> Use a Debian LiveCD, it will load "Nouveau" drivers and you can test if
>> the same happens from here without needing to mess your current running
>> system by switching between the two VGA drivers.
>
> Will do!

It's the most "clean" method to try out this. Dealing with VGA drivers
has become a bit annoying nowadays, in the past we only had to edit one
line at the /"etc/X11/xorg.conf" file and all was done :-)

>> > I had to search this on a weird forum, but at least I found it. Why
>> > you can't CC me?
>>
>> Because my newsreader does not provide such option :-(
>
> I'm using now the google interface, let's see if this work!

You can also read/post to this mailing list by means of a newsreader and
nntp news server (no Google Groups), like I do, which does not require
you to subscribe to the list and you don't need to store messages in your
hard disk :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón