Re: Crazy (?) idea: screen locker with simpler password

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:22:06 +0100, Wojtek wrote in message
<[🔎] 4EB85A0E.7080409@elka.pw.edu.pl>:

> Hi,
>
> I often have to leave my students with my laptop and e.g. go to scan
> some documents or to receive printed papers from the printer room.
> Then I have to lock the console when leaving, and unlock it when
> coming back. As my login password is quite long, it is uncomfortable
> to enter it (especially with my students watching my keyboard ;-) )
> after every return. I think it could be nice to have a possibility to
> use a special configuration of screen-locker, using another, shorter
> and simpler password...
>
> Well I have a quick&dirty workaround - I have a special account with
> minimal privileges (e.g. with access to networked blocked in
> iptables) and really simple password. I have this user logged in in
> one text console. So when leaving, I can switch to this console (with
> Alt+Ctrl+F1) and run "vlock -a". This is not very elegant, but
> working...
>
> Unfortunately my VFS5011 fingerprint scanner is not supported in
> Linux :-(.

..no, but webcams are, many laptops have them and can use: ...
http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/Z.Kalal/tld.html
...to control hands-off locking and unlocking. ;o)

..failing that, use wifi or bluetooth to chk your cell phone's
signal strength which will depend on your presence, to control
hands-off locking and unlocking.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: