Re: How to slow down the fan?

The output of acpi -V is :
Battery 0: Discharging, 100%, discharging at zero rate - will never fully discharge.
Battery 0: design capacity 5200 mAh, last full capacity 2644 mAh = 50%
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 26.8 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 88.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode active at temperature 71.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 2 switches to mode active at temperature 55.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: LCD 0 of 15
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 4: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 5: Fan 0 of 1
Cooling 6: Fan 0 of 1

My problem is the fan keeps running, and it is so noising, I want to slow it down.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM, shiyao ma <i@introo.me> wrote:
Thanks, I would have a try

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:01:50 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

>      About a month ago, I posted a mail here, asking for help on how to
> cool down the temperature on debian(when in windows, the temperature is
> fine). And later, I have tried a lot of methods, but none has produced
> any result.So, today, I went out to let a worker clear the dusts of my
> laptop and installed a new fan on the laptop.

You mean how to control the laptop's fan? That should be automatically
done by the BIOS in join with the acpi capabilities of the computer.

>     Now, the temperature is fine, but the fan keeps running. I guess
>     this
> is because I installed the xorg-radeon-driver, maybe fglrx will slow
> down the fan?

Hum... you mean the integrated GPU gets too hot that makes the system fan
start running? I would first check what are the temperatures of the
available sensors, just in case, maybe is not the GPU driver (nor VGA)
the culprit ("lm-sensors" package and/or "acpi -V" command could help).

> I am now in debian wheezy, and I find package fglrx is not in testing,
> but in squeeze. So, is it feasible to install the fglrx in squeeze? If
> is, the how to?

There is still the option of getting the package from AMD site and
compile yourself although it is possible that this neither works.
Perhaphs it is worth waiting for the package to be available in wheezy
again :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

My gpg pubring is available via: gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys
307CF736

--
Eddie --- A Foolish Guy
Student Of Department Of Computer Science & Technology