Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On 10/30/2011 1:24 PM, poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:

> What have I done wrong?
>
> I remember not choosing the option for an initramfs. What would be put
> in it if I had
> chosen that option?

I'd guess you configured your root filesystem (EXT3/4?) as a module
instead of building it directly into the kernel.  When you then omitted
initramfs the kernel had no way to load the filesystem code, hence the
error:

"Unable to mount root fs on unknown"

"Unknown" in this context means the kernel can't identify the filesystem
on the device where you are telling it the root filesystem resides.  It
can't because the FS driver isn't loaded.

The solution is to build the filesystem driver directly into the kernel
or to enable initramfs.  Personally I always build my filesystem
driver(s) directly into the kernel.  Every machine must have a
filesystem driver for the root filesystem, so there is no advantage to
making it a module--put it in the kernel proper.

--
Stan