Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Oct 30, 8:10 pm, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59...@care2.com> wrote:
> poenik...@operamail.com wrote:
> > I downloaded the source for kernel version 3.0.4 fromwww.kernel.org.
> > I then booted to the
> > Deiban squeeze partition and as superuser, unpacked the kernel source
> > in one of my own
> > directories.
>
> > I ran make targets to get what config commands were available. I
> > installed qt4-dev files from
> > the Debian squeeze DVD and did make xconfig which gave me a
> > configuration screen for
> > the new kernel source.
>
> > I then ploughed through all the options, removing modules where I was
> > sure I did not have
> > the relevant hardware. I eventually did make-kpkg clean, then  make-
> > kpkg debian and then
> > make-kpkg --targets, chose
> > binary and issued
> >             make-kpkg binary
> > The kernel was compiled and after much activity, make-kpkg returned me
> > to the command
> > line. In the directory above the top of the source tree were a number
> > of Debian packages
> > which included linux-image-3.0.4_3.0.4-10.00.Custom_i386.deb which I
> > installed using
> > dpkg. grub was run which found the Linux kernels as well as Ubuntu
> > 11.10.
>
> > I closed down squeeze, rebooted and chose the new 3.0.4 kernel. It
> > displayed an
> > error message (kernel panic) to the effect that it could not load the
> > root fs.
>
> > What have I done wrong?
>
> > I remember not choosing the option for an initramfs. What would be put
> > in it if I had
> > chosen that option?
>
> I use:
> make-kpkg --revision 1 --append-to-version -amd64 --initrd kernel_image
>
> which installs an initrd.img for an initramfs, but it will depend upon
> the config that you ended up with.
>
> Hugo

I tried this and got a kernel image which installed ok, but when I
rebooted into it, it gave the
following:
there then followed a definite pause followed by these messages:
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  - Check rootdelay
  - Check root (did the system wait for the right device?)
  - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/long number string does not exist.

I suspect that my configuration of the kernel is at fault, but where
should I start looking for problems?