Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:24:28 -0400 (EDT), poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:

> I downloaded the source for kernel version 3.0.4 from www.kernel.org.
> I then ploughed through all the options, removing modules where I was
> sure I did not have
> the relevant hardware.
> I closed down squeeze, rebooted and chose the new 3.0.4 kernel. It
> displayed an
> error message (kernel panic) to the effect that it could not load the
> root fs.
>
> What have I done wrong?

I would recommend using something like "make localmodconfig" to strip
out drivers your hardware doesn't need.  There are many hidden
dependencies, such as SCSI support, that are not obvious.
Also, I recommend that you read

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

for a fairly comprehensive tutorial on kernel building in Debian which
documents many common "gotchas" in kernel building.  For example, there
is a patch to kernel-package which is needed in some circumstances
when building a version 3 kernel with make-kpkg.  The patch is documented
on the above web page.  And, depending on which boot loader you use,
you may need to install some hook scripts when using a custom kernel
with Squeeze and later releases.  This is also documented on the
above web page.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :