Re: Just a simple query

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 11:45 +0000,
> email message attachment (No Subject)

Wiki says that PCLinuxOS is a "desktop distro", shipping with compiz
etc..

> >         People might read the list's archive, so please don't write
> >         such
> >         careless generalisations.

To be holier than the pope, it's written that this is a Debian list and
not a list for all distros, so if you blame me, you should blame
yourself too ;).

> >         For CNC and professional music you might choose another
> >         Linux distro, than for office and other needs.
> >
> > That's really a personal choice. Thx.

Real hard realtime is a special topic contrary to averaged desktop
usage. What ever "averaged" should be, I suspect that there are several
other needs that aren't covered by distros for "averaged" usage.

> >         FWIW I don't like Suse, but some aspects of Suse are better
> >         than e.g.
> >         for Debian, while my favourite is Debian. Suse doesn't
> >         change the owner
> >         very often, just one time Suse was bought by Novell.
> >
> > I agree that Debian is one of the nicest distros available.
> >

> >         I might be mistaken, but that's what I experienced.
> >
> > Not mistaken when you talk of Debian but mistaken when you talk of
> > other distros.
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >
> >         Take care about hardware issues, especially about drivers
> >         that can't be redistributed regarding to GPL issues.
> >
> > I do consider it a factor!
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >         PCLinuxOS is a very good distro for someone switching
> >         from Windows, as the OP is.  And the reply which occasioned
> >         your
> >         rudeness said that PCLinux is usually a good distro for a
> >         beginner,
> >         and I entirely agree.
> >
> >         You say that you have not read the thread, so how come you
> >         are in a
> >         position to comment on someone's reply, especially to
> >         comment so
> >         rudely.
> >
> > They don't read 'code of conduct'.
> >

> >         If, in addition to not reading the thread, you have never
> >         seen
> >         PCLinuxOS, how on earth can you consider yourself qualified
> >         to have an
> >         opinion?
> >
> > People forget all this factors, which are correct and true.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >
> >         A good Linux distro for beginners is a Linux distro with a
> >         huge
> >         community, IOW a distro that is used by many people and that
> >         comes with
> >         lot's of up to date forums, wikis etc., hence a good distro
> >         for
> >         beginners would be one of the major distros, any exotic
> >         distro in most
> >         cases isn't useful for a beginner.
> >         There are some exceptions, I e.g. already mentioned CNC and
> >         DAW.
> >
> > So you know that PCLinuxOS is not having a huge community but you
> > said you don't know about it! Is this a contradiction?

Google for problems without including the distro to the search and
you'll see that you get good hits for Ubuntu and Arch more often than
for any other distro. Arch should be a good distro, but AFAIK it isn't
good for beginners.

> >         If a distro mimicries Windows it's completely bad for
> >         beginners, because
> >         this always leads to misunderstandings. Linux isn't Windows.
> >         Linux isn't
> >         a C64. Linux isn't ... Linux is Linux.
> >
> > Correct, but Windows users all of a sudden cannot jump into the
> > great ocean of Linux, they first need something to which they can
> > sustain and then finally take the more heights.
> >  Example: If you know swimming a little, can you directly be thrown
> > into the ocean to swim? Nope because you can get immersed in it but
> > before actually swimming in the ocean you do need a training to swim
> > first in ponds, rivers, etc....

Analogies never work, anyway, I'll add an analogy. If you're accustomed
to kitchen knives and you should need a throwing knife, would you try to
learn how to use it by using a throwing knife that is sharpened like a
bread knife? You won't learn how to handle a throwing knife, if it's
sharpened like bread knife. Every OS and even some Linux distros are
customized to special needs, when you will use them OOTB.

> >         I won't sound rude. IMO a beginner should use Ubuntu, Suse,
> >         Debian,
> >         Fedora ... those major distros are made for averaged users
> >         and they
> >         usually work OOTB. Especially Ubuntu has ggot a huge
> >         community with
> >         lot's of up to date wikis, forums etc..
> >
> > Nice and correct but I don't know why do you hate with openSUSE,
> > like Debian, their community too is one of the nicest known in open
> > source OS world AND people acknowledges this fact.

Regarding to the needs.

> [...]
> >
> > I do agree.
> >

> >         I have looked at a number of other distros, including
> >         Debian--I don't like their politics;  Ubuntu--there's one
> >         distro that believes that just because it's possible to do
> >         something, it should be done--also the devs seem
> >         to have done their absolute best (or worst) to make sure
> >         there's nothing reminiscent of Windows about it;
> >         Kubuntu--when I looked at it about a year ago, I puked,
> >         don't know what it looks like now, and don't care;
> >         Mint--very nice when I last looked; Zorin--also nice, and
> >         had the capability of looking very much like XP, if
> >         you wanted it to, or like Gnome 2.  Most distros now have
> >         several desktops available: you may have to
> >         choose *before* you download the live version which one you
> >         want--or perhaps not, depending.
> >
> >         Advice:  get a live CD or DVD and try whatever you're
> >         thinking about using.  See if you can add things that
> >         you want and have them work: *your* printer(s), your
> >         scanner, sound, both in headphones and on speakers,
> >         video--make sure that both sound and video work from
> >         whatever sources you normally use, including CDs,
> >         MP3s, YouTube, etc.  Sound and video seem to be the weak
> >         points in some distros, so look carefully at
> >         them.  Look especially for software that lets you run
> >         "protected" DVDs, if you're going to want to view them.
> >         (When I dumped SuSE, one of the reasons was that I never got
> >         a peep out of the speakers, no matter
> >         what the source, and all the answers on their list didn't
> >         help.  That may be fixed, by now, but I'm not going
> >         back.)  If you like to have the familiar icons of some
> >         common programs, see if the distro will let you do that,
> >         or only give you clones or imitations.  Make sure that the
> >         pdf reader works, and that it prints properly to
> >         your standard size paper.  You should be able to install
> >         Adobe Reader--some distros don't have it in the repo,
> >         and it may be a hassle to get it, if you want it. (There are
> >         FOSS readers; I like what I know works.)
> >
> >         I'm sure others will have some other recommendations, and
> >         some will quarrel with what I have said above.
> >         To each his own, as the song says.  There are certainly some
> >         folks who like what I hate, and some who hate
> >         what I like, and I have no gripe with that.  Just so long as
> >         I don't have to use theirs, I wouldn't force them to
> >         use mine.
> >
> > I do agree with you and give Live CDs a trial. Thanks.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >
> >         I experienced the best howtos for Ubuntu and Arch. I never
> >         used Arch,
> >         but the howtos helped me a lot. My recommendation for
> >         beginners would be
> >         Ubuntu, while I don't know Unity or GNOME3. For good reasons
> >         I switched
> >         from Ubuntu back to Debian, but for beginners Ubuntu has
> >         some
> >         advantages.
> >
> > Oh I see, Ubuntu could be a great choice because it also recognizes

- Ralf