Re: Sharing files on a local network

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 08:39:58PM BST, Camaleón wrote:
> > If it's not available through easy install system, e.g APT, then yes.
>
> Only Windows system lacks for a ssh client on a default install and this
> can be easily solved with one of the mentioned programs that don't
> require even installation at all because they're portable.

I was writing it with Windows in mind indeed.

> Solaris and Linux both have good ssh clients available from the usual
> repositories.

I'm well aware of that, thank you.

> > If it doesn't play nicely with the system, then yes. There's no explorer
> > extension to work with SFTP - that's enough for me.
>
> Shell integration on the window client is not a powerful argument for
> dropping the easier and securest solution, IMO :-)

Most secure - yes. Easiest - no - for this very reason.
Let me give you an example - you have a server with you film and music
collection, and you chose to share it using SSH. Windows users will have
to copy files to their local machines each time they'd like to listen to
music or watch a film. Not to mention a document which needs editing -
copy from server to local machine, edit and upload it again.
No direct access for Windows users is enough of a pain for me not to
choose it for home, heterogeneous network. Another thing is encryption.
Why would you need it on every file you access at home-only network?

> > Again, for access - yes; not for sharing.
>
> The line between sharing and accessing is very thin. For instance, I have
> a samba share to which I access from my Debian boxes (meaning the samba
> share is not mounted locally but accessed via "smb://" protocol). That's
> enough for me because I get/put files on the share sporadically.

We're coming from different points of view.
My preference over one NFS for unix only machines using one system mount
over per user mounts comes indeed from enterprise where users' files are
located on a server and accessed frequently. I still use that kind of
setup at home for unix-only machines as I don't like to authenticate
every time I need to access a file.
I also use SSHFS (unix-only) accessing files over the Internet, and CIFS
(unix, Windows) at home as it's better suited for that.

Regards,
--
Raf