Re: Sharing files on a local network

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:33:55 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> even for Linux-only systems, there really is no
>
>> satisfactory answer to the OP's question besides Samba/CIFS.
>>

> Samba looks like the best option as I will be adding windows clients and
> a solaris file server.

SSH is still the winner, IMO: Solaris and linux include ssh client
facilities and windows has WinSCP or FileZilla that allow SFTP
connections.

If you finally go for the samba alternative (which is a complete
headache), just ensure to put a good (and monitored) firewall between the
host -that runs samba- and the Internet...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón