Re: Sharing files on a local network

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:33:29 +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 05:12:20PM BST, Camaleón wrote:
>> > Too many 3rd party software programs required, most of them don't
>> > integrate with the rest of the system nicely or at all, e.g.
>> > explorer, cmd.exe.
>>
>> "One" program is "too many" for you? ;-)
>
> If it's not available through easy install system, e.g APT, then yes.

Only Windows system lacks for a ssh client on a default install and this
can be easily solved with one of the mentioned programs that don't
require even installation at all because they're portable.

Solaris and Linux both have good ssh clients available from the usual
repositories.

> If it doesn't play nicely with the system, then yes. There's no explorer
> extension to work with SFTP - that's enough for me.

Shell integration on the window client is not a powerful argument for
dropping the easier and securest solution, IMO :-)

>> > That's where SSL or SSH tunnels come in handy ;^)
>>
>> I prefer the usual way: it's easier to manage, administer and setting
>> up.
>
> Again, for access - yes; not for sharing.

The line between sharing and accessing is very thin. For instance, I have
a samba share to which I access from my Debian boxes (meaning the samba
share is not mounted locally but accessed via "smb://" protocol). That's
enough for me because I get/put files on the share sporadically.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón