Re: laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

On Fri 28 Oct 2011 at 12:36:26 +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:46:25AM BST, Brian wrote:
> > As Raf Czlonka has already said, using /etc/network/interfaces and its
> > integration with wpa_supplicant is the way to go. You do not even need a
> > wpa_supplicant.conf file.
>
> You don't, for simple setup that is indeed enough.
> If you have several wireless networks you can keep your interfaces file
> tidy and organised, not to mention that roaming mode won't work without
> wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Yes, I'd agree with that; it gives a very flexible and powerful
configuration, especially if wpagui is also used. However, if one has
been stumbling along there is something to be said for walking before
running.

> >    iface eth0 inet dhcp
> > 	   wpa-ssid myssid
> >    	   wpa-psk passphrase
>
> I also recommend actual PSK rather than passphrase.

I'm unsure of the advantage this brings as an ASCII passphrase is
converted to a 64 hex string internally anyway. A disadvantage is passing
an incomprehensible PSK on to someone to allow a connection to a network.