Re: laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:36:26 +0100
Raf Czlonka <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:46:25AM BST, Brian wrote:
> > As Raf Czlonka has already said, using /etc/network/interfaces and its
> > integration with wpa_supplicant is the way to go. You do not even need a
> > wpa_supplicant.conf file.
>
> You don't, for simple setup that is indeed enough.
> If you have several wireless networks you can keep your interfaces file
> tidy and organised, not to mention that roaming mode won't work without
> wpa_supplicant.conf file.
>
> >    iface eth0 inet dhcp
> > 	   wpa-ssid myssid
> >    	   wpa-psk passphrase
>
> I also recommend actual PSK rather than passphrase.
>
> man wpa_passphrase.
>
> Regards,

I am doing it differently and it is  complex.

1. I have following at /etc/rc.loacl

` ` ` `
wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c  /usr/local/etc/my.wpa_supplicant.conf

` ` ` `

and at /etc/network/interfaces I have

` ` ` `

mapping wlan0
     script guessnet-ifupdown
     map default: office-wifi
     map  office-wifi open unknown
     map timeout: 12
     # map init-time: 12   # for slow drivers
     map verbose: true
     map debug: true

 iface office-wifi inet dhcp
        test wireless  mac  00:1C:F0:3D:4C:C9
post-up  /root/bin/FIREWALL start

# if all else fails: pick an open network
 iface open inet dhcp
     test wireless open
     wireless-essid any
     wireless-mode auto
` ` ` `

How can I remove the wpa related entry from rc.local and add directly at /etc/interfaces ?

Thanks