Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:46:45 -0400, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:58:51 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

(...)

>> I'm not sure that "stability" and "freedom" were inside the "novice"
>> part but anyway, openSUSE is also stable (rock solid) and cares about
>> your freedom ;-)
>>

> Beyond just stability and freedom, I also didn't like the openSUSE way
> of doing things.

Which way you think is that? They have a very nice community plenty of
helpful users and a good infrastructure.

> I find that debian's package management and system administration tools
> are very robust.

Mmm, I guess yes.

> I haven't yet had a good experience with YaST.  For me it's always been
> slow,

Now is very fast!

> slightly clunky,

No way! It's perfect for novices :-)

> and annoying, like when YaST settings override settings in
> configuration files.  I always thought that if a user changed a config
> file, that meant they wanted it changed.

Yes, that was true for some time... I think this has been corrected
nowadys and manual editions for the config files are respected from YaST.

> Debian also has a much more centralized repository system (i.e. not
> having to add a new repo every time you want to install something). I
> view it as a convenience advantage - I can always add an extra repo if I
> want to, but for standard packages I shouldn't have to mess with that.

openSUSE has a similar layout: there are the official supported repos,
semi-official ones and then you have the community based repos.

One of the advantadges of openSUSE for newbies and this kind of repos is
that they can have a stable version of openSUSE and easily add a repo for
upgrading their KDE or GNOME full environment, and this is something
difficult to get in Debian (you have to run the "testing" branch or
carefully pin the selected packages and that's not for begginers).

> Choose aptitude and dpkg and you can't go wrong.

"zypper" also does a good job.

> So yes, I'm one to blindly point to debian :D

Welcome home ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón