Re: Bluetooth and cell phone

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:35:40 +0200
Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> dijo:

>> Although OT if you have an android phone, virtual cable is an
>> alternative to bluetooth, it uses FTP via the cell switch, or a
>> wireless router if you use one at home as I do. Also its fast, much
>> faster than bluetooth. I was always under the impression that
>> bluetooth was intended for control purposes rather than control.

>  Richard, please explain in detail, how to use a usb cable, i am
> desperate.

You need a USB cable with mini or micro connector on one end (depending
on the make and model of the phone, and a regular USB connector on the
other end for the computer. Just plug the phone in. The Linux computer
should mount it automatically. If it does not, use dmesg |tail or
var/log/messages to see what happened when you plugged it in.

On my older Froyo phone it mounted automatically, but on my new
Gingerbread phone the phone pops up a message asking if I want to set
it up in USB mode. It doesn't mount until I say OK. Once I say OK I see
Nautilus pop up a browser window.

When I first started using an Android phone I tried connecting via
Bluetooth. I didn't have much problem pairing and connecting, but data
transfer was lagged into the next week. Seriously slow. Like ten
minutes to transfer a 20 MB MP3 file. And I had 30 GB to put on
the phone's SD card. Then I just connected the USB cable and got decent
transfer rates. Nowadays I still use the Bluetooth connection, but only
if I just need to transfer a pic quickly to the computer. Bluetooth is
easier and faster to set up for me because I usually have to rummage
around for the USB cable. But for serious file transfers, forget it.