Re: alternatives to aircrack-ng

Celejar <celejar <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:02:48 +0100
> Brian <ad44 <at> cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon 17 Oct 2011 at 15:22:57 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > > aircrack-ng has been removed from Debian, and part of the justification
> > > for the request for removal is that "Better alternatives exist.":
> > >
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642934
> >
> > The reason for its removal appears to be a licensing issue.

> > If I read the report correctly, it has been resolved and aircrack-ng is
> > elegible for inclusion in Debian.
>
> Interesting, but the report I linked to also mentions that it's not
> being maintained and that better alternatives exist.
>
> Celejar

I too am trying to find an alternative to this software suite.
Nothing I can find even comes close.
Pyrit as was suggested is only a component and IIRC can be included as a
component in the later versions of the aircrack-ng suite.

I find this software invaluable in pointing out wireless vulnerabilities.
It really helps credibility when you can easily demonstrate the problem.

I usually use Debian sid on my in field laptop and this package removal,
assuming the licensing issues are resolved, makes little sense to me.

It would appeared to be maintained at least upstream.
http://www.aircrack-ng.org

I can compile it from source there are nightly builds and an svn, but seeing the
depth of Debian repositories reduced by the removal of this software is
disappointing.

UncleVom