Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

Thank You for Your time and answer again, Martin:

>> I do this w/ mc.
>>
>> But w/ dd it is the same.
>
>Also with bs=1M?

Yes.

>> No. 2.5", 5400 RPM - still I do not believe it can be satisfiable
>> performance for the drive.
>
>Oh, I do. I do not see more than 30000 blocks in vmstat 1 on IDE
>driven laptop drives.
>
>But with recent kernels it should not stall or lag that long.

How can this be?! - Music even stops playing for a second w/ such
performance. I do not remember such behavior on old PCs w/ IDE HDDs! Or
laptop is good just for reading emails today?! (Just rhetorical
question - no need to answer) :-(

>> >Thats nice, the kernel is using DMA for accessing the drive.
>>
>> And probably, the highest? What can be a problem...
>
>Could be, but then it would like be a controller or cabling issue. I
>would exclude cabling issue as long as its the internal laptop drive.

OK then controller. Should file a bug/wish report to kernel maintainer
to complain about my exhausting problem?

>> >Now there might be an issue. I don´t know how good this SATA
>> >controller works.
>>
>> OK. Then my problem can be cured by replacing the laptop only, - I do
>> not think the drivers will be any better since long time has passed
>> from the manufacture date?
>
>I am not sure about that... only a grep through kernel changelogs
>could reveal that.

grep for ATI or SATA?

>Copying the 6 GB file... but from what I understand so far: yes, you
>do this on a laptop drive.

Yes, of course, I'm talking only about the laptop system.

>> >- try to use ionice with the IDLE priority for the copy process
>>
>> Is it manually or some tunable util.s aare available in the system?
>
>man ionice ;)

I've read that already. In case I got it right, I have manually to
renice the priority - is it correct? Or in the system is a mechanism
that triggers for, auto renice writing priorities? Or at least renice
priority in case mc, dd, cp, etc are running?

>Although it is my experience that it does much less of a difference
>than I hope for.

Me too. :) Seems the culprit is the MS&Dell alliance.